But instead having to settle for Snap (or as it's now called... "Hype"). Once a month, going out on a Friday night to the oh-so-glam Harlington Centre, after choosing matching outfits with your "twinny" and speculating about who was going to dance with who on MSN.
2. The Skate Park
Most people didn't even ride skateboards. Either you were one of those twats on a scooter, or you were one of the girls hanging around watching in the hopes of getting noticed by that fit bloke in your Maths class. Or you walked past and judged everyone there. Either way, the skate park was a central location for socialising in Fleet... as well as McDonalds.
3. Turning on the Christmas Lights
THE social event of the year. Only the coolest of the cool went on that ride "Music Trip".
4. Fleet Carnival
Second only to the Winter Gala Night, the Summer Carnival was HUGE. Good luck trying to get through the High Street, or, anywhere. And good luck trying to spot your child in the parade.
5. Sledding down The Views on snow days
After tuning into 96.4 The Eagle and hearing your school announced, it was time to get straight to the Views, basically the only incline in Fleet. Until all the snow was gone cos those wankers that had been there since 9am had ruined it.
6. Being outraged when Verne Video shut down.
Where am I supposed to get 1p sugar mice from now?!
7. The absolute BATTLE of the secondary schools
Oh, I'm sorry, you're a Court-Mooron?!
8. Trying to tell people where you're from
"Oh, the services?" Yeah, the services.
|There's a fucking WAITROSE|
9. Feeling like you were living somewhere *happening* when Fleet finally got a Starbucks
OMG YOU GUYS LETS GET LATTES AFTER SCHOOL
10. Being shocked and appalled when Woolworths closed down
And then subsequently Poundland. Why do good things happen to good people?!
11. The Pink Man of Fleet! A true local legend.
12. Venturing to Basingstoke at the weekend and feeling like you were hitting up Oxford Street
Was it really a trip to Basingstoke if you didn't take a dressing room selfie on your Nokia?
13. Never understanding why Fleet Pond is called a pond
THAT'S A FUCKING LAKE
14. Never leaving