Friday 16 August 2013

Why Rape Culture IS Kind Of A Big Deal (Even In Small Towns In The Middle Of Nowhere)



OK so we've all heard about this stuff. I will admit, things are better than they were. And yeah in the Western world we are very very lucky compared to women in the East who are constantly shamed and violently abused for the smallest things, like looking at a man. Over here, women are allowed to vote, have an education, divorce, own property etc., and yeah that's great man like thumbs up to all that, we are more or less regarded as equals on most topics in life.

But that doesn't mean everything's peachy over here with regards to rape and the way a woman presents herself sexually. There's still a way of thinking that kind of gets to me.

Don't get me wrong, there are so many guys out there that are absolutely LOVELY and RESPECTFUL and would get annoyed at all this stuff against men because they think that terrible men are a minority, but actually, you'd be surprised. I mean people think rape only happens to a few people, but it's actually just something that very infrequently reported. And it doesn't even have to be full on rape. I'm gonna level with you here, I live in a small middle class town in Southern England and yet most of my female friends, including myself, have experienced some form of sexual assualt or harassment. And we don't even think anything of it half the time, it's just "ugh guys being creepy again, what ya gonna do". And we can't just blame it on the fact that we were supposedly 'asking for it' in the way that we dress. Women shouldn't have to worry about the way that they dress, they shouldn't have to not wear certain clothing because they're afraid they'll be putting out the wrong message. NO! If you want to wear that dress you fucking wear that dress! If a man can't keep is hands off you it's because he's a horny bastard, not because you're rendering him completely incapable of control WITH A MINISKIRT. No means no!
IF I EAT SIX DOUGHNUTS ITS COS I COULDN'T STOP MYSELF AND IT'S MY FAULT AND I SHOULD BE ASHAMED, IT'S NOT THE DOUGHNUT'S FAULT FOR BEING ALL SHINY AND TASTY, I AM THE ONE WITH NO SELF CONTROL. You get me?

I should be able to go to a club on holiday and be able to have a cracking night out with my friend but instead I spent most of the night being followed about by creepy guys on the streets, and don't even get me started on the dancefloor. Just trying to walk through that thing to get to the bar, it was basically like the fucking Odyssey through a SEA OF ARMS. JUST GRABBING... GRABBING FROM ALL DIRECTIONS. It's just shit, and we don't deserve to be treated like things you just grab at like fucking... I dunno STRAWS???

If you want to wear a strapless top and a miniskirt to a club because that makes you feel confident and good about yourself THAT'S OK and if you want to wear shorts on a hot day cos it's like a million degrees MEN SHOULD FUCKING DEAL WITH THE FACT THAT PEOPLE HAVE BODY PARTS OOOOOO BODY PARTS OMG I SAW A BODY PART THAT MEANS I CAN FUCK HER RIGHT OR AT LEAST BEEP MY HORN AT HER AHAHAHAH SHE'LL LOVE IT... WELL NO ACTUALLY NO. TALK TO A GIRL ABOUT HER FAVOURITE MOVIE OR SOMETHING GODDAMNIT WE ARE PEOPLE NOT FUCKING PIZZAS YOU CANT JUST PICK US UP AND EAT US.

I shouldn't have to walk a different way home at night because I'm scared of being raped. Women shouldn't be taught how to avoid being raped by doing certain things, men should be taught how to fucking not rape and how to control their damn testes.

Just want to re-iterate that there are guys that this most definitely doesn't apply to :) 
This is just a view that I know a lot of people have, both men and women, but there are still a lot of people, especially young people, who will just look over this. They'll get touched up on a night out and think nothing of it, or they'll refrain from wearing/doing certain things when they really shouldn't need to. And that bothers me OK!

Remember... people, not pizzas.

I mean Jesus just read this little article!

ALSO, CHECK THIS OUT - http://www.thisisnotaninvitationtorapeme.co.uk/

_____________________________________

OK, completely unrelated topic to end this on...
I got my A Level results yesterday, and they weren't as good as I hoped, but by some miracle I got into my university???
So yeah next month, this will be my home...




ISN'T IT BEAUTIFUL?!

If you're also an A Level student and just got your results, 4 FOR YOU GLEN COCO YOU GO GLEN COCO

mmm, dat morning-after-a-night-out look


What even was this post, I'm sorry, OK I'll go now

Leave comments with your opinions below! (Or let me know if you're going to university, especially if it happens to be Royal Holloway!)



Tegan xo



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooooh I so agree with this. When I was last in a club some guy just came behind me and started grinding up on me...I was like "this is not ok, I feel vulnerable." I didn't even know if it was some kind of joke him and his guy friends had going :/ It was horrible, but the worst thing is that it seemed to be a "normal" thing to happen, almost a fact of life, that it's what some guys will do - treat girls like an object.